1. Monitors, investigates and prosecutes all crime involving economic sabotage like bank frauds, large scale smuggling, estafa, dollar salting, hoarding, profiteering and other crimes of such magnitude and extent as to indicate their commission by highly placed or Professional syndicates and organizations.
2. Investigates all major cases involving violation of the Revised Penal Code
3. Conducts operations against notorious wanted persons and organized crime group particularly those engaged in armed robbery, kidnapping-for-ransom, gun-for-hire and illegal possession and trafficking of firearms and explosives.
4. Provide direct support to the PNP field units in the investigation and solution of major crimes especially those requiring specialized investigative techniques and intensive follow-up.
5. Investigates cases involving violations of Special Laws, which are expressly assigned to the group such as Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices, Illegal Recruitment and Illegal Possession/Trafficking of Firearms and Explosives.
6. Assist in the prosecution of cases investigated by the group and in the crime prevention effort of the PNP Field Units.
7. Identifies documents and investigates the atrocities committed by the CPP/NPA/NDF and file criminal cases with the Civil Courts and Commision on Human Rights
8. Performs such other functions as the higher authorities may direct.